Valentine’s Day is around the corner and that means doing something special for your little loves! So, how does the perfect V-Day treat sound? Delicious and easy to make, these cookies come with a little message full of love. Curious? Read on for the step-by-step details…you won’t regret it!
Aren’t we all looking for ‘that special ‘ recipe that we can WOW our little one’s with on Valentine’s day?! Well, here it is!! A fun, unique and special bake which is as scrumptious as it is playful and full of love. The best part? you can whip this up with readily available ingredients at home and your kids can be a part of it, too.
P.S. – was it mentioned that they’re super adorable as well?!
Preparation steps for making special Fortune Cookies
1. Begin by measuring out everything. Make sure that all your ingredients are at room temperature.
2. Separate the egg whites and the yolk. You will be using only the egg whites in this recipe, be careful not to get the yolk in it while separating.
3. Whisk the egg whites until frothy and then add the powdered sugar and salt and whisk well again. Add in the sifted flour and the corn flour and mix until well incorporated. A lumpy batter is not good!
4. Pour in the melted, room temperature butter and the vanilla extract and mix until combined. The batter needs to smooth, fluid and semi thick at this point.
5. Divide the batter into bowls and add colours and mix well. Pour a little of each colour into piping bags to make the hearts, dots, flowers or whatever you want to make. since it’s a V-Day special, get as adorable as you want at this point!
6. Preheat your oven to 160 degrees Celcius. Line your baking tray or a cookie tray with a silicon sheet or a baking paper – don’t forget or skimp on this part! Put a tbsp of batter on the mat and spread, like you would do to make a Dosa, using the back of your spoon. It should be about 4 inches in diameter. You need to make sure that it’s neither too thick or too thin.
7. Once you spread out about 4 circles, use your coloured piping bag to make any design you wish. Go crazy with ideas, involve kids and make it a fun activity.
8. Put the tray into the oven to bake at 160 degree Celcius for approximately 7 to 8 minutes or until the edges start turning brown. Take the tray out of the oven and get ready to fast-track this step because now you have to work super quick !
9. Use a flat, thin metal spatula and peel off one of the circles. Quickly fold it into half and use a cup rim to give it shape (as demonstrated in the picture) – the trick is to complete this while the cookies are still hot and can be worked upon.
10. Now immediately lay it in the cupcake pan, so that it retains shape as it cools down. Finish the remaining in the same way. These harden very fast, so you have to work quick. If they harden before you have had the time to fold them, just place them in the hot oven for a few seconds so that they soften up again.
11. Cut out small strips of paper and write out messages. Kids love doing this. So get them involved. Insert these into the cookies with the edge hanging out.
12. Store the treats in absolutely airtight containers (they soften up, if care isn’t taken)…and ENJOY!
Dig into your gorgeous fortune cookies, curated especially for your loved ones. I’m sure you are going to WOW your near and dear with these visual delights.
Happy Valentine’s Day!