Celebrate this Independence Day with this fresh and zesty, eggless lemon cupcakes with triple colour frosting.
For the cupcake
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Line a muffin tray with 8 muffin wrappers. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add yogurt and beat further. Add milk, followed by lemon zest and vanilla extract. Beat to combine.
- Fold in the sifted flour gently. Fold until combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin. Bake for 20 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool on a wire rack.
For the buttercream
- Beat butter until fluffy. Add vanilla extract and beat further. Add the sifted icing sugar and beat for 3-4 minutes until it has been well incorporated.
- Divide the buttercream equally into three bowls. Add orange colour to one and mix well. Add green to another and mix well. Leave white as it is.
- Fit a disposable piping bag with 1 inch star tip. Fill one side of the bag with orange icing. Fill the other with green. Drop the white icing in the center.
- Gently squeeze the icing towards the tip using pressure. Twist the bag on top to prevent icing from spilling out from the other end.
- Starting from the outside, pipe in one quick spiral motion to get a classic cupcake icing. Repeat for all cupcakes.
And voila! Your tricolour eggless lemon cupcakes are ready.