So you heard out our pet peeves about restaurants and what they could do to be more kid-friendly. Now here’s a list of 30 establishments that have got it right.
The list of kid-friendly restaurants in Bangalore just got a little longer! We carried out our customary anonymous visits and have included the ones that passed our buzz test. BuzzingBubs is happy to provide you now with an updated list of 30 kid friendly restaurants.
As parents there’s always a little anxiety about taking our young ones out for meals. We’re appreciative of restaurants that understand that kids will be kids and put a few things in place to make their younger patrons feel at home.
Here are a few places in Bangalore that have not just passed muster on our anonymous visits – they make dining out with the brood enjoyable and are sure to be visited time and time again.Needless to add that we’d love to hear your stories and thoughts. Until then, happy eating out!
1. Smoke House Deli, Indiranagar
Cuisine: European & Italian
- The Pastas and Burgers are super yummy. You can make your own with the options given. The major meals are served with a choice of juice/milkshake and dessert of the day. Yes, too good to be true, right? But, trust us, it’s truly awesome!
- The Margherita pizza had some lovely flavours of tomato, basil and cheese infused.
- The Kit-kat shake is a winner and it was difficult to identify the adult amongst us.
- The menu card itself is a cute booklet with endearing sketches drawn against the dish names. The interiors are very pleasant with sketches all over the walls too. The kids get to colour some of these sketches that are printed on the kid’s menu.
- The staff is extremely friendly and efficient. They take extra good care of the kids. The kids get to place their order first, before the adults.
- You’d definitely say “Hasta La Vista” on your way out, which in Spanish means “see you soon”.
Address: 1209, 100 Feet Road, Opposite Apollo Clinic, Indiranagar, Bangalore
2. Teppan, Ulsoor
Cuisine: Sushi & Japanese
- Tempura, stir fries, noodles and rice cooked right in front of your eyes.
- The children will love the experience of watching food being cooked on a sizzling grill in front of them. The chefs keep the kids engaged with a variety of tricks to make it a fun and unusual dining experience; a welcome break from the regular pizza and pasta restaurants.
- Thrilling experience for the kids, absolutely safe – the cooking table/sizzling grill is well designed, not to worry.
- Do ask for Chef June who is particularly friendly with kids.
Address: Old No. 12 New No. 1, 3rd Floor Sivanchetti Gardens, Ulsoor, Bangalore 560008
3. The Biere Club, Whitefield
Cuisine: American, Burgers
- The assorted fries, harissa mayo and pizza-style samosa are our recommendations for the veggie lovers
- The tomatoes Mozzarella sweet basil pizza is mildly spiced and perfect for kids. The Ham & Pineapple pizza is good too.
- The penne pasta with smoked chicken is worth a mention with the perfectly balanced flavours in the pasta.
- They have a huge open area for kids. It’s like a European town with a cobbled street and neat outlets lining it; food and shopping infused in an exciting blend.
- An art & crafts store, “Do Something” ,beckons you with their lovely supplies and entertainment options.
- There’s an exclusive kids apparel store, “Bambiola” and an in-house bakery and confectionery store.
- They also offer some great packages for kids’ birthday parties.
Address: 153/1, Hagadur Main Road, Next to Prestige Ozone Entrance, Whitefield, Bangalore 560066
4. Monkey Bar, Indiranagar
Cuisine: American, Asian, European & North Indian
- The Banana Nutella Waffle is an all-time favourite.
- The Burger and Cheesy fries were finger licking good too!
- This is a great, chilled out place during the day. Kids are allowed only during the day, though.
- There’s a separate section on the top floor with a snooker table and a foosball table for all to enjoy.
- The staff is courteous, helpful and great with kids. They are also well-versed with the menu and popular dishes, so you can rely on them for some good food recommendations.
- Last, but not the least, they have clean restrooms. A huge plus for parents with kids in tow, isn’t it?
Address: 610, Diagonally Opposite to SBI Bank, 12th Main Road, Off 80 Feet Road, Indiranagar, Bangalore
5. Bistro Claytopia, Kormangala
- Most famous for their burgers with a side order of chips or mashed potato.
- All day breakfast and salads are good; pastas are OK.
- Not to be missed is the “Creamy Oreo Shake” – simply Heaven!
- Claytopia offers a great combination of food and activity. It is a paint-your-own-pottery studio and bistro.
- Each child is taught how to paint their own models. For younger kids they hand out mini aprons so that they don’t ruin their clothes. Kids get to decide the colours they like and no kid is rushed into finishing their art work.
- The place is bright and colourful with hand-painted coasters, fish and stars all around.
- Mums can chill with a book and a cool drink while kids are busy.
Address: 11, 80 Feet Main Road, SBI Colony, Koramangala 3rd Block, Near Wipro Park, Bangalore-34
6. Toscano, Malleshwaram
- Gourmet pizza, salads, pastas and lip-smacking desserts.
- Just introduced kids menu for under 11’s. (Was applicable only during Summer Holidays)
- Chocolate brownie free with every kids menu order…Yippee! (Was applicable only during Summer Holidays)
- They have a nice printed activity sheet that each kid gets along with colour crayons to keep them entertained.
- Outdoor seating overlooking the water body with fountains and all the activity and buzz around.
- Service is excellent.
Address: Orion Mall, Brigade Gateway, 26/1 Dr. Rajkumar Road, Malleshwaram West, Bangalore
Other Branches: UB City, Whitefield and Jayanagar.
7. California Pizza Kitchen, Indiranagar
- The portions of food for kids are appropriately sized, especially the pizza.
- The chocolate smoothie was delicious and is highly recommended.
- The kids menu is printed on a little booklet that each kid gets along with colour pencils to keep them entertained. The activity book has some fun colouring pages, clues to be solved by the kid detectives, and various puzzles.
- The open kitchen with a wood burning pizza oven is always bustling and fun for the kids who can watch the action.
- The staff is excellent, their service prompt and the manager makes it a point to greet everyone at each table.
Address: 284, Ground Floor, 100 Feet Road, Indiranagar, Bangalore
Other Branches: Koramangala and Whitefeild
8. Hard Rock Cafe, St. Marks Road
- Exclusive kids menu with a good choice of finger food, burgers, pasta and juices.
- Activity sheets to keep them busy and entertained till the food arrives.
- Great music to get the kids grooving.
- Ideal only for lunch.
Address: 40 St. Marks Road, Opp LIC Building, Anil Kumble Circle, Bangalore
9. Art Blend Cafe, HSR Layout
All day breakfast, pasta & waffles
- Spread over three levels with a homely atmosphere and is run by an exceptionally sweet lady.
- The top floor is a pleasant open space; more like an activity and dining area stocked with board games, UNO and books for browsing.
- The laid-back feel makes it ideal for a family gathering and can almost be your own private space.
Address: 659,24th Main, 22nd Cross, 2nd Sector, Near Safa Super Market, HSR Club Rd, HSR Layout, Bangalore
10. Sancho’s, UB City
- They are known for their lovely nachos and Fiesta Nachos did make the cut.
- Chicken tacos were good as well.
- Tres leches- is a deliciously soaked cake and is highly recommended for kids.
- Rooftop restaurant along with a big screen where cricket matches are screened. A nice setting to get some family time with kids on an exciting match day.
- Authentic Mexican flavours with decent-sized portions.
Address: 204, UB City, Vittal Mallya Road, Near Lavelle Road, Bangalore
Phone: +91-080-41755266, +91-7022614087
11. Chili’s, Indiranagar
Cuisine: American / Mexican
- The veg/non-veg Triple Dipper is an eclectic combination of three varieties (you can choose from the options).
- Classic Nachos and Texas Cheese Fries are the classic favourites.
- The ‘Big mouth bite’ and ‘Chicken ranch’ burgers were quite good.
- With a 3-level seating area, space is never a constraint here, even on weekends. Great for those impromptu Sunday brunches with kids, we say!
Address: Plot 1135, HAL 2nd Stage, 100 Feet Road, Indiranagar, Bangalore
12. Cafe Noir, UB City
Cuisine: French & Continental
- Sandwiches made from freshly baked breads, fresh pastas, salads, burgers, fish and chips, home-made quiche, and hot soups – everything with a French touch!
- Sunday brunch buffet with crepes, waffles, French toast, hot chocolate and a variety of muffins and cakes.
- Kids love to play around the water fountain at the entrance to the terrace food court, do remember to carry an extra pair of clothes.
- Well located so you can keep an eye on the kids; the kid-friendly staff help keep a watchful eye out as well.
Address: Unit No 206, 2nd Floor, UB City, Vittal Mallya Road, Bengaluru
Other Branches: Whitefield, Rajajinagar and Jayanagar
13. Gufha – The President Hotel, Jayanagar
Cuisine: North Indian
- Among the non-veg starters, try the kallan ke kebab-minced mutton and chicken marinated with spices, or if you prefer veg, then Multani paneer tikka-minced corn and fenugreek patties are great choices.
- Afghani murg biryani is perfectly spiced to suit a kid’s palette.
- An Ice-cream that is fried? Now, we won’t let you in on the secret but will say that you cannot go wrong with this or the fresh mango tart to finish off the meal.
- It’s, of course, the themed set-up of a cave. The flamed torches, the dim ambience, servers clad as hunters, a hoot by an owl here and a tweet there, all add up to the overall effect and make it an exciting meal affair for the kids.
Address: 79/8, Diagonal Road, 3rd Block, Jayanagar, Bangalore
14. Blimey, M.G Road
Cuisine: Continental & Italian
- The nachos heap was smooth, packing a lovely crunch and so were the onion rings that were flavourful and crispy.
- We recommend “The tarter skins half dozen chicken”, “chicken tikka sandwiches” and Blimey’s fried chicken for the ones who prefer non-veg.
- Their club sandwich was fresh.
- Burgers, especially the Bombay Masala Burger, would be a good choice too.
- They are famous for their Sunday brunches and you won’t be disappointed with the excellent spread and a separate dessert bay.
- The kids can be kept entertained at the foosball and snooker tables.
- The restaurant overlooks the Ulsoor lake. A plus in terms of adding to the overall pleasant ambience!
Address: 1 MG Mall, Opposite Vivanta by Taj, M.G Road, Bangalore
Phone: +91-080-22086777, +91-8095440049
15. The Fisherman’s Wharf
Cuisine: Goan, Coastal and Multi-cuisine
- Wide range of options to choose from and popular for its delicacies from the West Coast.
- Wonderful Goan village feel created with fishing boats, bullock cart, pots, masks and fishing nets spread around.
- Exclusive kids play area and colourful flower dotted lawn area.
- Large property with plenty of space to explore.
Address: 26 Ambalipura Village, Opp Shubh Enclave, Haralur Road, Off Sarjapur Road, Bangalore
16. Yauatcha, 1 MG Mall
Cuisine: Contemporary Chinese
- Menu includes a wide variety of stir fries, green vegetables, meat puffs, speciality noodles and rice for both vegetarian and non-vegetarians alike.
- Kids will love the macaroons and other desserts.
- The loud wok noises from the open kitchen and lively restaurant setting; ideal for a unique dining experience of a dim sum house.
- Large variety of dim sums from steamed to fried that come in small portion sizes; you can order multiple portions to share.
Address: Level 5, 1 MG Road Mall, MG Road, Bengaluru
Phone: 1800 266 1000
17. Serengeti, Madiwala
Cuisine: North Indian
- For starters, we recommend ‘chilli paneer’, ‘Awadh ka paneer tikka’ or ‘Subz malai seekh’. If your kid fancies oriental cuisine, then ‘Drums of heaven’ or if it’s chicken is what the child wants, then ‘murg lajawab’ is an excellent choice.
- Paneer Jehangiri, murg patiala kadai se or murg dum biryani is a safe bet with kids.
- The restaurant serves absolutely yummy gajar ka halwa.
- Ohri’s is famous for its themed restaurants and it doesn’t disappoint you with this jungle-themed joint.
- Imagine your kid being welcomed by a huge elephant into the restaurant! Once inside, he/she will be further greeted by other animals, a water stream, and sounds of animals. The downside is, of course, a reluctant kid at the end of the meal refusing to leave the jungle.
- Another value-added service is the touch-screen user interface to order your food. Definitely a time-saver and eliminates mix-ups with the order.
Address: Ohri’s, 3rd Floor, Total Mall, Madiwala, BTM, Bangalore
Phone: +91-080-40003333, +91-9731558305
18. Cafe Max, CMH Road
Cuisine: Cafe, Continental, Italian, German, Spanish & French
- Their Chocolate hazelnut tart is to die for and kids will gobble it up before you can say the word go.
- The chicken skewers are worth a try.
- The restaurant on a rooftop surrounded by green cover makes for a relaxed outing with good food.
- Service is quick and the staff, courteous and warm.
- If you like a German touch to the food and ambience, this is the place to visit.
Address: 716, Goethe Institute, Max Muller Bhavan, CMH Road, Indiranagar, Bangalore
19. Rajdhani Thali Restaurant, Indiranagar
Cuisine: Gujarati/ Rajasthani Thali
- Good hearty and healthy meal with plenty of options.
- Mini pooris, khichdi and aamras are sure to be a hit with children.
- Kids under 4 eat for free; thalis for kids between the ages of 5 to 8 are charged half the price.
- As soon as we were seated at our table the staff promptly switched out the two large thalis with 2 small thalis for the children.
- The staff was very considerate of the children. Though the little one was in no mood to eat her meal, they offered her a tiny bowl with khichdi and aamras which she thoroughly enjoyed. They gladly served her seconds filling up her bowl with more even though her meal was free.
Address: Level-1, Salarpuria Landmark, 100 Feet road, HAL 2nd Stage, Indiranagar, Bengaluru-560038
Other Branches: Koramangala, Jayanagar, Whitefield, Lavelle Road, Malleshwaram and Bannerghatta Road
20. Sahib Sindh Sultan, Koramangala
- Bread sticks and dips are served right up front which the kids can munch on till the main food arrives.
- The dal palak, jeera aloo, reshami murg tikka and other tandoori items on the menu provide some delicious and healthy options.
- Experience dining like Indian royalty in the era of the British Raj in a vintage train themed restaurant.
- Make a reservation in the dining carriage to make it extra special
- The decor of the restaurant will appeal to the kids with the dining carriage, railway platform and other railway station paraphernalia. The mirrors on the end walls make the train appear to go on and on.
- The service of the staff is wonderful and they are dressed to play their parts as ticket collectors and attendants.
Address: Level 2, The Forum Mall, Koramangala, Bengaluru
21. The Ant’s Cafe & Store, Indiranagar
- The usual favourites are the Cheese Omelette, French fries and the pastas.
- When this ‘Cookie Crumbles’ (a rich blend of crumbled cookies, vanilla ice-cream and honey), it only coats your tongue with luscious goodness and heart with pleasure.
- Waffle with ice cream is another dessert delight.
- The chocolate smoothie and alfredo veg pasta is a delectable combination.
- One can’t go wrong with a place that not only has a cozy ambience but also stocks up books to read (for adults).
- The stairs from the store leading to the Cafe above has some interesting ant-trivia imprinted. Kids can make a game out of it while you lounge above. Sounds exciting?
Address: 2286/B, 1st Cross, 14th A Main, HAL 2nd Stage, Off 100 Feet Road, Indiranagar, Bangalore
Phone: +91-080-41521742, +91-080-41715639
22. The Black Pearl, Koramanagala
Cuisine: North Indian, European, Mediterranean
- It’s a buffet although you can have the starters served to your table. Some lovely stuff there; loved the Jamaican potatoes and cinnamon pineapple in particular.
- The chicken tikka and skewers are some worthy non-veg starters. The bread platter was great, warm and soft to bite into.
- The pirate chocolate was super-yum and the rum ball, decadent.
- Skulls, skeletons, pirates,and ships, what’s not to love about this themed restaurant! The servers are dressed as pirates and kids were thoroughly amused.
- They have live music playing on weekends and they even play your favourite song on request.
- They have some rare items on the menu like the octopus, emu, and rabbit. They are also currently celebrating a Seafood festival, so you might want to try it out.
Address: 105, 1st A Cross Road, Jyothi Nivas College Road, 5th Block, Koramangala, Bangalore
23. The Rogue Elephant, Basavangudi
Cuisine: Cafe, North Indian & Mediterranean
- Their chicken tikka katti roll had a melt-in-your-mouth taste.
- If your kids prefer pastas with white sauce then, the Fettuccini alfredo pasta is highly recommended. Else, go for the penne Pomodoro pasta that is infused with sun-dried tomatoes. Wash these down with a Mango smoothie, umm…totally yumm!
- Anything to do with Nutella has to be a delight for kids, don’t you agree? Aptly named Nutella Delight is the perfect dessert you can order for kids.
- The old charm setting with a lot of greenery around; this is actually an old Bungalow-turned into-cafe. There’s a lot of space for the kids to move about.
- The service is good and the staff knows the menu well.
- The dishes are fresh, according to the season’s best and flavourful.
Address: 93, Near Generation School, Opposite Krishna Rao Park, Basavangudi, Bangalore
24. Dice and Dine, Koramangala
- The Spaghetti Carbonara is an egg-based pasta with cream and black pepper; a unique preparation that the kids readily had.
- The nachos, Lasagna, and chicken popcorn are other dishes you could try out.
- Coming to the last and the best part: desserts! The Ferrero Rocher shake, crispy Nutella bites, and fried ice-cream vanished in no time, quite naturally!
- This is Bangalore’s first board game cafe. If your kids are crazy about board games, then this place is a must-visit. They have some very unique board games that kids will have a fun time learning and playing. And, not just kids, the adults can revive the childhood nostalgia of food and games.
- It’s a cool place to hang out and arrange some memorable birthday parties for your kids.
- You even have happy hours where you can play for more and pay less.
Address: 71/72, The Elite, 5th Block, Jyoti Nivas College Road, Koramangala, Bangalore
25. Cable Car, Jayanagar
Cuisine: Italian & North Indian
- The Bruschetta and corn fried mozzarella are some good starters to begin with. You could try the chilly paneer too.
- The Cheese cake had a lovely creamy texture to it and vanished in no time.
- The pastas, SFO special and penne arrabiata, were done to perfection and kids loved it.
- The cable car set-up, inspired by cable cars of San Francisco, is the high point of the decor; to be seated in a carriage suspended from a cable definitely adds to the fun element. There are also engineering tools on display for the more curious diners.
- Note: There are 2 sections to the seating arrangement (normal and themed ones), so, it would help to have prior reservations.
- The Italian dishes do have an edge to them, quality-wise; a surprising factor, although in a good way, considering the restaurant is a purely veg one.
- The staff is polite and friendly.
Address: 24, Opposite Raghavendra Mutt, 46th Cross, 5th Block, Jayanagar, Bangalore
26. TGIF, Ulsoor
- The American veggie pizza was good.
- The classic chocolate “brownie obsession” was as expected; juicy and rich in taste.
- The decor is casual and eye-catching. The Lp record plates, gramophones, and other musical instruments mounted on the wall make you tap your feet and bring out the relaxed mood of the weekend.
- They have some nice lunch combo meals and happy hours.
- The staff is courteous and hospitable.
Address: 1st Floor, Lido Mall, Swami Vivekananda Road, Ulsoor, Bangalore
27. Cafe Thulp, Indiranagar
- They have some absolute delights that have equally unique sounding names. They are famous for their lip-smacking burgers.
- The imposter-grilled chicken thigh patty under ‘Special Moosies’, ‘Bow wow wow hot dog’ and ‘Kulla chicken’ under the ‘little burgers’, Buffalo Bill are an awesome choice for some starters.
- The pastas, ‘Aglio Olio Spaghetti’ and ‘Spaceballs The Movie’ with spaghetti are worth mentioning too.
- The Cafe owner’s love for cartoons and movies comes across in the comic-inspired decor and menu names; an exciting affair for kids, surely.
- They are known for their lip-smacking burgers and we weren’t disappointed on this count.
- Most of their ingredients are sourced locally and hence the flavours authentic.
Address: 39, 12th Main Junction, HAL 3rd Stage, Off 80 Feet Road, Indiranagar, Bangalore
28. Silver Metro, BTM Layout
Cuisine: North Indian
- It’s a buffet menu that had some lovely German potatoes and chaats on the spread.
- The Chicken tikka salad was tasty while the chicken dimsums were cooked to perfection.
- Another of Ohri’s magic with a metro train-like ambience to fascinate the kids and adults alike.
Address: Ohri’s, 3rd Floor, Total Mall, Madiwala, BTM, Bangalore
Phone: +91-080-40003333, +91-9731558305
29. Village, Jayanagar
Cuisine: North Indian, Gujrati, Maharashtrian, Bengali & Lucknowi
- This is a purely Vegetarian restaurant. Kids will definitely like the Paneer Lababdar or Mix veg curry.
- Ordered the soya Biryani with some trepidation but it tasted good along with the creamy Dal Makhani.
- The icing on the cake was really the ice-gola. Umm..nostalgia for the adults while the kids can freak out on the desi-styled ice-candy.
- Village is a themed restaurant resembling a village scene. You have chaiwallahs shouting out to you to have their chai, food being dished out from the central jail and dhaba-styled seating arrangement.
- They have tattoo artists to entertain kids with. They also have Puppet shows on certain weekends and games like musical chairs.
- Want to groove to traditional dandiya beats? They provide you the sticks and even teach you a few steps!
Address: 6th Floor, Bangalore Central Mall, 9th Block, Jayanagar, Bangalore
Phone: +91-080-42100524, +91-9663924344
30. Jalsa, Banashankari
Cuisine: North Indian & Chinese
- They have a huge variety in their menu. We recommend the Hara Bhara Kababs and Lal mirch ka Paneer tikka. The paneer is especially soft. If your kids like cauliflower, try the Tandoori Malai Gobi which is marinated in a creamy base.
- Chicken lovers should surely try the Tawa murg.
- The Veg Kheema gravy went very well with the Makhani Naan.
- A royal feeling as you seat yourself in the throne-like seats (with a lot of bling too :-)). They even provide a royal turban or head-gear for some photo-op. There are smaller booths with beaded curtains if you prefer a private corner.
- They have some large nooks for bigger groups. Weekends can get crowded, so a prior reservation is recommended.
- While the overall quality was good, the price is a bit steep.
Address: 942, 21st Main Road, 2nd Stage, Banashankari, Bangalore
Phone: +91-080-42297555, +91-9743772233
Parents, we’d love to hear of your dining experiences at the places that have been covered here. Is your family favourite missing from this list? Do leave a comment below.
Restaurateurs, if you’re already doing something special for the family demographic do get in touch with us. We’re always on the lookout for places that make our children feel welcome.