The mention of Upma is generally met with a grimace.
How about lending this age old recipe a twist that’s not only mouth-watering but also healthy? We ensure happy smiles.
Lapsi vegetable upma is perfect for the monsoons as well as any time of the year. Its warmth and nutrient richness will keep kids healthy and their tummies full.
Method for the Lapsi Upma
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, green chillies, ginger and garlic. Saute till the seeds crackle.
- Add the onions and saute till they turn pink.
- Add the vegetables and saute on a medium flame for a few minutes.
- Add 4 cups water and salt, mix well and bring to boil.
- Add the broken wheat and cook on a slow flame, while stirring continuously.
- You can garnish it with finely chopped coriander and grated coconut.
Method for Coconut Chutney
- Grind together all the ingredients with little water to a smooth consistency.
- Heat oil in a small kadhai. Add the mustard seeds, once they splutter, add the jeera and the urad dal. Saute till the urad dal turns brown.
- Then add the curry leaves, red chili and a pinch of hing.
- Immediately pour the tempering tadka on to the coconut chutney.
- Mix it well with the coconut chutney.