Welcome the Diwali season with these delectable sweet and savoury items. Your children will absolutely relish them.
One of the best things about festivals is the lights and colours they bring into your homes. And of course, the food! Don’t forget the ultimate joy that comes from digging into a satisfying plate of pooris or a yummy gulab jamun! Are you hungry yet?
These 4 Diwali recipes for kids will make your festival that much sweeter! Choose from two sweet and two savoury dishes lovingly put together, just for you.
Recipe for Sabudana wada – Appetiser
- Mash potatoes well, add all the ingredients and mix well. Make sure sabudana is well strained as water content will make the wadas splatter in oil. The trick is to strain it 30 to 40 mins before mixing.
- Make small flattened rounds and fry until golden brown.
- Serve with mint coriander chutney.
Preparation time: 15 – 20 mins | Cooking time: 30 mins | Serves: 15 pcs
Recipe for Aloo bedmi (dal poori) – Main course
Recipe for Aloo ki sabji
- Puree tomatoes, green chilly and ginger.
- Heat ghee in a cooker, add jeera and launji ka masala and puree.
- Add haldi, red chilly powder, dhaniya powder and let the gravy cook until ghee separates.
- Add potatoes, salt and water and pressure cook it for 5-7 mins at medium flame.
- Let the cooker cool down. Add fresh coriander and dhaniya and mix well. Can gently break the potatoes to get tangier taste.
Preparation time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 10 mins | Serves: 3
Recipe for Bedmi poori
- Strain whole water from urad dal and grind it coarsely.
- Add all the spices in dal and knead it with whole wheat flour to make medium consistency dough (one you make for pooris) .
- Make flat small rounds (not to thin) and fry each bedmi at medium flame until golden brown. As dal is added it needs little bit more frying.
Enjoy hot bedmi with aloo ki sabji.
Preparation time: 20 mins | Cooking time: 15 – 20 mins | Serves: 10 – 12 pcs
Recipe for Kesar badam kulfi – Dessert
- In a kadhai (I use steel induction kadhai), cook milk and cream at low flame for 30 mins. Keep stirring it to avoid milk sticking on sides.
- Add kesar, condensed milk and simmer it for another 10 mins.
- Add almonds, sugar and cardamom powder and mix it well.
- Let it cool and transfer in a freezer proof container. Freeze it for 1 hr
- Using the bigger mixie jar attachment, blend it well for 3-4 mins. This step is important to make kulfi creamier. You may repeat the step.
- Transfer in kulfi moulds and freeze for 5 to 6 hours.
- To take kulfi out, run the closed mould under water and roll with your hands.
Preparation time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 40 – 45 mins | Serves: 10 – 12 kulfis
Recipe for coconut sooji laddoos
- Dry roast sooji with few drops of ghee until golden brown. Let it cool down
- Mix coconut, almond powder and milk maid and make a dough
- Make small laddoos with adding raisins in each ladoo
Preparation time: 15 – 20 mins | Cooking time: 10 mins | Serves: 10 – 12 laddoos
Perfect Diwali sweetmeat that can be sent to neighbours.